House Renovation Mystery
Here’s a who-dunnit for you, except that ain’t nobody “done it”, and that’s part of the problem. We need our houses renovated after several years of kids, dogs, termites, and general rot. The question is: who, what, when, where, why, and how?
1. Who? How to find a contractor, or even better, a handyman, who can handle a job or two, generally without a lot of input or supervision from us? It would be beneficial if we were off-site, since our dogs don’t take kindly to a lot of strangers, or a lot of banging. We don’t want workers carrying 2x4s with snarling Scottish Terriers hanging off of their legs.
2. What? You name it, and our houses need it. From molding that’s been munched by termites-now-gone, to tiles and carpeting destroyed when said pest control company had to drill and insert their lethal potion into crawl spaces, to pillars rotting from the inside-out, to block-and-stucco walls around the property’s perimeter starting to separate…. Kitchen tile that’s been broken by coolers dropped by over-enthusiastic children carrying far too much, wooden flooring that needs to be refinished without sanding it all into thin air, a wrought iron outside back stairway that’s holding on by a thread, and kitchen cabinets that probably all need to be ripped out…. It might be easier to say, “What do we NOT need?”
3. When? The sooner, the better. But we have this birthday, and that holiday, and a few more birthdays, and a bat mitzvah, and travel, and homeschool, and dogs. When would we be able to clear out of this house or that? We normally spend half a week in each place. It’s not like we can simply stay in one location for a month or two. Given the reality of most construction jobs, even the simplest, make that what to do and where to go for a year or two.
4. Where? Both places, our main house in the north, and our dacha in the south. Both would be average-sized homes requiring different renovations—whether paint, flooring, fencing, structural and cosmetic repairs. Can you say major face-lift?
5. Why? Take a look at our kids and our dogs, and you have your answer.
6. How? Exactly the question. The time, the cost, the logistics. Maybe a little at a time? It might be a good idea to take a big, long vacation, and hope that it’s all finished when we get back. No, on second thought, we tried that before, only to return to workmen practically living in our house, or all of the water and heat turned off in the house, or almost nothing accomplished in the house since we were not there to supervise.
I think I’m getting a headache just thinking about it…. How would you solve this mystery? (And no, selling and starting over is not an option, lol.)
—————Tags: home renovation dreams, house renovation woes, how & when should we renovate?, how to find a handyman or contractor?, my house is falling apart, where to live during renovations